Make MIDI Pro Adaptor Console Switchable

Talk about anything on your mind.

Moderator: Doc's Crew

Make MIDI Pro Adaptor Console Switchable

Postby infnorm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:19 am

I have a PS3, and I only had one midi pro adaptor, and I always wondered about converting a Wii one (because at times they were cheaper). I wanted one for keyboard and one for my Squire. Amazon had them for $13 or so after christmas, so I solved that. However, I just bought another Squire, and it came with a Wii Midi Pro Adaptor, so the idea lit up again (because now I need 3 PS3 adaptors)!

Based on some information on this thread http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthre ... 523&page=9 (by wondras) that noted that the USB Descriptor changed to indicate different systems when the jumper's JP1 and JP2 were jumpered (the xbox360 version comes with both JP1 and JP2 closed with 0 Ohm resistors). So I cracked the Wii, and sure enough it had JP1 closed and JP2 open. Based on this I made the plan to add a dip switch bank to my adaptor to get switching. This weekend I finally got around to it. Unfortunately, my soldering skills for SMD scale suck (and even at DIP my skills suck), but I managed to get it hooked up and I drilled a hole for a 8-port DIP switch bank (I could not find the 2 port version that Frys' web site said they had). I hot glued the bank to the PCB, and pictures of the result are attached. I gave it a shot with my PS3 and it worked like a charm!

I am wondering if this mod communicated buttons from the Squire to the XBox. If the firmware pre-dates the disabling (i.e. if the firmware matches the demo unit xbox 360 firmware), then it may work. I'll try it in the next few days. If it works it would be much easier to do than adding the arduino to snoop the MIDI like Warren Ondras did (though that mod is an awesome solution and could be used to lots of other awesome things).

Jumper settings:
JP1=0 JP2=0 PS3
JP1=0 JP2=1 Wii
JP1=1 JP2=0 PS3
JP1=1 JP2=1 Xbox360

midipromod.jpg
Switch Mod exterior

midipromodTop.jpg
Top View of Switch Mod

midipromodSide.jpg
Side View of Switch Mod
infnorm
Band Member

Re: Make MIDI Pro Adaptor Console Switchable

Postby Sugs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:00 am

Cool! Nice work, and great first post infnorm!
XBL: Sugs [on sabbatical ;)] __ Pro Expert Drums: modded RB2 SL kit _ Expert Vox: Lips/SM58/RB2 mics _ Expert Guitar/Bass: RB2 strat _ TB:RB fan!
Sugs
Renaissance Man

Location: Jordan -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV3ncKB8a4s#t=3m41s

Postby teal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 pm

I wonder what else MADCATZ makes that can be switched like that.
www.threecountwrestling.com
PSN= Tealjbody
Nothing is impossible, It just costs more.
teal
Living Legend

Postby infnorm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 pm

:( Just tried my hacked Wii pro adapter on an XBox360, and, unfortunately, it didn't work. If I plug it into a Linux box it identifies as an XBox360 adapter, but it was not recognized. I don't know if this is because Microsoft maintains a list of accepted HIDs and this is not considered a blessed device, or if the hardware has some way of detecting if the LEDs in the xbox circle are missing.

Even so, for my purposes switching between Wii and PS3 is all that I need, so I guess I'm still happy, but it would be nice if it worked for the XBox360 and the Squire buttons just magically worked!
infnorm
Band Member

Postby davidshek » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:02 pm

infnorm wrote::( Just tried my hacked Wii pro adapter on an XBox360, and, unfortunately, it didn't work. If I plug it into a Linux box it identifies as an XBox360 adapter, but it was not recognized. I don't know if this is because Microsoft maintains a list of accepted HIDs and this is not considered a blessed device, or if the hardware has some way of detecting if the LEDs in the xbox circle are missing.

As far as I understand, every X360 controller has a chip inside it that identifies itself as such. Without that chip, it won't work. So maybe you could scavenge one from an old X360 RB controller?
WARNING: Our group is not a friend of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.) Anonymous.
We claim no responsibility for the fact that you will use your grocery/rent money for Upgrades and Modification to your Rock Band Equipment.
davidshek
Resident Drum Guru

Postby infnorm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:18 am

Interestingly I ran across this thread on converting devices from Wii to PS3. http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/vie ... 522#660522
So it seems doing some other devices is possible. This does not solve my issue with the XBox. It doesn't seem like there is a special chip because it seems the hardware for the different consoles is almost identical, save a few different led colors / configurations and the jumpers.

Looking a little deeper it seems like in XBox360 mode you get a serial number emitted when viewed in dmesg in Linux. This serial number has an unprintable character on my hacked adaptor. On the genuine adaptor it is an 8 digit serial number. This could be the problem, in which case it will probably be very difficult to update the serial number, because it is stored in static storage on the microcontroller most likely. It probably would require trying to rig up a connection with a programmer for the given microcontroller and hoping they didn't fuse it to not be readable/writable. I'm debating modding some of my PS3 adaptors and seeing if they might happen to have a good serial # in their NVRAM. Below are the dumps...

Hacked in Wii mode

usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1bad, idProduct=3538
usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 6-2: Product: Harmonix RB3 MIDI Guitar Interface for Nintendo Wii
usb 6-2: Manufacturer: Licensed by Nintendo of America
usb 6-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Hacked in PS3 mode

usb 6-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10
usb 6-1: New USB device found, idVendor=12ba, idProduct=2538
usb 6-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 6-1: Product: Harmonix RB3 MIDI Guitar Interface for PlayStation®3
usb 6-1: Manufacturer: Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment America
usb 6-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Hacked in XBox mode

usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1bad, idProduct=1538
usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 6-2: Product: Harmonix RB3 MIDI Guitar Interface for Xbox360
usb 6-2: Manufacturer: Mad Catz Inc.
usb 6-2: SerialNumber: xxxxxx\204

Genuine XBox MPA

usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
usb 6-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1bad, idProduct=1538
usb 6-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 6-2: Product: Harmonix RB3 MIDI Guitar Interface for Xbox360
usb 6-2: Manufacturer: Mad Catz Inc.
usb 6-2: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxx
infnorm
Band Member

Postby edisleado » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Pretty late to the game here, but I have an RB3 MIDI Pro Adapter that I want to have work with my Wii. I've done the change to the jumpers and when plugging the adapter into my PC, it appears as a Wii MIDI Pro adapter for the respective instrument selected using the switch.

However, when I try it on the Wii, the adapter's player lights (the 4 lights underneath the console logo button) don't light up and generally it just seems the Wii doesn't detect it at all. Does anyone have any tips for how to get this to work, if at all possible?
edisleado
Band Member

Postby jgrills » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 pm

If I had been asked, I would have guessed this would not have been feasible in a hardware mod. I'm glad you didn't ask me first! That's really awesome.

Persevere!
jgrills
Rock & Roll Ratchet

Return to Rockers Lounge