Green Grass and High Tides Fast Blue Section

Drumming Technique & Theory Discussion

Moderator: davidshek

Green Grass and High Tides Fast Blue Section

Postby lordflatus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:16 pm

I have a technique question for the fast blue section of GG&HT: are you supposed to power through one-handing the ride cymbal, or is there a two-handed technique that makes this section go a little smoother? I can gold star this song one-handing it, but it makes wonder if that's just something a pro drummer can cruise through or am I doing it wrong.

TIA.
lordflatus
Hardcore Band Member

Re: Green Grass and High Tides Fast Blue Section

Postby davidshek » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Unless you have your blue cymbal mounted in a strange place (like where a HH would normally be), there's no effective way to two-hand it. Check out videos on the "Moeller technique", like this one by Dave Weckl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZfOLbnBwI

The first 1:30 of that video shows him using it for a two-stroke, the rest of the video is for triplets. The gist of the technique is conservation of energy. The first of the two hits comes from the down whipping motion of the arm, and the 2nd hit comes from the wrist while the arm is moving back up. It's a really powerful technique to learn, especially for playing really fast notes with one hand, like in this song or the HH in "Let There Be Rock".

Practice it. A lot. You'll eventually start to notice it helping you with even regular speed HH songs too, conserving half of the energy you'd normally spend.
WARNING: Our group is not a friend of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.) Anonymous.
We claim no responsibility for the fact that you will use your grocery/rent money for Upgrades and Modification to your Rock Band Equipment.
davidshek
Resident Drum Guru

Postby lynxis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Tough to master on drums like on rb that have very little rebound.
lynxis
Hardcore Band Member

Postby davidshek » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm

lynxis wrote:Tough to master on drums like on rb that have very little rebound.

Shouldn't be, since Moeller doesn't depend on rebound. Your arm, wrist, and fingers are doing all the work. A real hi-hat has basically no rebound too.
WARNING: Our group is not a friend of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.) Anonymous.
We claim no responsibility for the fact that you will use your grocery/rent money for Upgrades and Modification to your Rock Band Equipment.
davidshek
Resident Drum Guru

Postby lordflatus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 am

I have an Ion set with PC-14s for ride and crash.

Thanks David, I'll give learning that a shot. Working on the double-stroke roll thingy helped me on the long snare patterns on Train Kept a Rollin', so I'm sure this will also be a worthwhile pursuit.

I've never tried two-handing it since it didn't seem possible to hit the snare coming out of that, but real drummers have some crazy moves and I was wondering if there was something insane that would do it.
lordflatus
Hardcore Band Member

Return to Drumming and Drum Theory