Car talk continued...

What are your other obsessions? Beer Pong? Archery? Dollhouse Building? Monkey Ranching? Discuss that here.

Moderator: Doc_SoCal

Postby infid3l » Sun May 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks el_bobbo ! :wink:

I'd only seen people clone SS cars before, and didn't realize it was going on with new cars so much. I only recently learned about Opel by researching the Aura trying to learn why its so much fun to drive. Oh, and I forgot the Saab 9-3 is also on the Epsilon.
Last edited by infid3l on Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
infid3l
Band Member

Postby el_bobbo » Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 pm

infid3l wrote:Thanks el_bobbo ! :wink:

I'd only seen people clone SS cars before, and didn't realize it was going on with new cars so much. I only recently learned about Opel by researching the Aura trying to learn why its so much fun to frive.

Ah yeah. The XR has something like 250hp (iirc). Pretty impressive, and one of the last Saturns made before they went south.

I MAY be wrong, but I think it's the same motor as the new Caddy CTS. I remember reading that Cadillac was looking for something to replace the mid-range line that Opel was bailing in Europe.
Bobby D.
New England Music Supply

PSN = el_bobbo
XBL = el b0bb0
el_bobbo
Resident Gear Dealer

3.6 V V T

Postby infid3l » Mon May 31, 2010 4:14 am

I read that the CTS comes with 2 options for the 3.6 V V T. The entry level CTS has the same engine. The upgrade is the 3.6 DI or direct injection configuration that makes just over 300 HP. Same one they use in the new Camero. Pretty amazing... One day I hope to have the CTS or a Camero, but for now this is pretty close since the drop in price due to discontinuing Saturn. The wife and I seriously considered getting a base model Camero but decided it just wouldn't fit into the budget. :cry: The CTS is even more.
infid3l
Band Member

Re: 3.6 V V T

Postby el_bobbo » Mon May 31, 2010 9:59 am

infid3l wrote:I read that the CTS comes with 2 options for the 3.6 V V T. The entry level CTS has the same engine. The upgrade is the 3.6 DI or direct injection configuration that makes just over 300 HP. Same one they use in the new Camero. Pretty amazing... One day I hope to have the CTS or a Camero, but for now this is pretty close since the drop in price due to discontinuing Saturn. The wife and I seriously considered getting a base model Camero but decided it just wouldn't fit into the budget. :cry: The CTS is even more.

Ah, yeah ok. Like I said, I wasn't 100% sure :-)

The new Camaros are actually pretty nice, but if I was to buy a modern American Muscle, it'd be the Challenger.
Bobby D.
New England Music Supply

PSN = el_bobbo
XBL = el b0bb0
el_bobbo
Resident Gear Dealer

Postby Six_Shooter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:33 am

I have a few too many toys, all in states of being modified/rebuilt.

My personal toy:
1973 Datsun 240Z
Engine Specs:
-1981 or 1982 2.8L I6 (NA)
-N47 intake that has been smoothed, slight port matching and modified for 14mm O-ring injectors.
-280ZXT turbo exhaust manifold
-Borg Warner turbo from a 6.5L diesel
-3" exhaust
-Home made FMIC made from 2 Ford Turbocoupe ICs
-DIS ignition pirated from a GM 60 degree V6
-GM ECM with custom code running the show

Drivetrain:
5 speed tranny, swapped for the original 3 speed auto.
R200 diff with 3.9:1 gears
CV axles from a 300ZX

Brakes:
4 piston Toyota front calipers
280ZX rear disc

More pictures and info here: http://www.ontariozcar.com/forum/showth ... me-vampire

The other vehciles I play with are my Grandfather's

One is a 1971 Chev pick up, that is chopped, set on a custom frame, tubbed, shaved, smoothed, it now has a Corvette Crossfire injection system using a '95 GM truck ECM, to run it, which will connect to a 4L60E next year.

There is also the 1923 T-bucket street rod that was my late Uncle's, he built the car when he was 16, and now we are rebuilding it after a long stretch of being in pieces.

The truck in the background, obviously the T-bucket in the foreground

I am converting the mechanical injection to EFI, but this is how it was:

I also have a 1985 GMC Jimmy that I had a turbo 3.2L V6 in, but will be converting to electric, once I get some space for it to bring it back home, it's in storage right now.
Six_Shooter
Hardcore Band Member

Postby Jumpman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Love that 240...
Jumpman
Gear Modder

Postby Six_Shooter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks man.

It way too much fun to drive, most fun I've had with my clothes on or off. lol
Six_Shooter
Hardcore Band Member

Re: Car talk continued...

Postby gamer1st » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:32 am

I'd never seen this thread before yesterday, and figured I post my oddball-mobile just to see if anyone had seen anything like it before.

I don't drive anymore due to nerve damage in my back that causes me to pass out at random times. Back when I still did, I put a toy together by adding way too much everything to this old Dodge A-100 truck. These were originally vans that Dodge cut down to make pickups, and they could be set up with either the slant six or a 318 V-8 engine and with either manual or automatic transmissions. They have zero safety features, no seatbelts, the master cylinder is a single chamber setup that assures if there's a leak anywhere in the system you lose all the brakes, and it has drum brakes on all four wheels. No power steering or power brakes and it has straight axles on the front and rear. The engine sits between the driver and passenger seat and is covered by a metal box.

I made a lot of changes to it including replacing the breaker-point system with an electronic ignition distributor, replacing the master-cylinder with a dual-chamber one, and also swapping out the slant six engine with a Dodge 440 engine I built from scratch. I added as many high performance upgrades as I could, but kept it just tame enough so I would still be able to drive it on the street. I built and installed two Carter AFB 750 CFM carbs on it, and slid the engine and transmission, (I also built it and added a shift kit) back as far as possible without needing to completely eliminate the driveshaft. It puts out just under 500 HP and a little over 750 foot-pounds of torque. It gets right at 12 MPG which isn't bad considering it's about as aerodynamic as a barn door.

Without lighting the game's just on tv!
gamer1st
Hardcore Band Member

Postby MrTyK » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm

I remember those A 100 pickup vans.
I had an A 100 van when I was in high school for a while. It was a 225 slant six with a three on the tree.
I am not a gamer.
I am an old guy with a Wii and guitar games.
MrTyK
Band Member

Postby gamer1st » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:08 am

This one was an auto-trans/slant-six model, but obviously the one that came with the slant six won't work with a 440.
I replaced it with a 727.
Without lighting the game's just on tv!
gamer1st
Hardcore Band Member

Postby Larkspeed » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 am

All these flashy BMW's (which asre not really that big of a deal in europe ;) ).

Here's what I drive:

LOL
Larkspeed
Hardcore Band Member

Previous

Return to Hobby Discussions: Non-Rockband (DOUBLE GASP!)