Vantage mic close to buying it; some pre-autopsy questions

Mic Tweaks, Upgrades, Vocal Tricks, Etc. Shout Out Loud Here!

Moderators: Doc_SoCal, NinaD

Vantage mic close to buying it; some pre-autopsy questions

Postby LoopyChew » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:49 pm

So the Vantage mic I bought for the original Rock Band is now on its way out. (I've since replaced it with a Monacor DM-500, but that's beside the point.) I figure there's a few things I can do with it, namely eventually cannibalize the signal converter box and make my own VoxBox (I don't know where I'm going to get the adaptor, though, since Switzerland doesn't have much in the way of Radio Shacks). However, before that, I want to present you guys the symptoms and tell me whether it's the mic itself or the signal converter causing each one:
* The mic is now more prone to hissing and popping. My inexperienced brain believes that's probably a problem with the mic circuitry--probably something's soldering got loose. Sound about right?
* The mic now experiences an audible delay when playing RB compared to my other microphones. This is a recent development and not replicated with the other microphones I play with, so I'm still thinking the culprit is the mic itself and not the game/recent patches. That...would probably be the signal converter, right?
"If you have any dignity, you will apologize to the rice, RIGHT NOW!" -- Chow Yun-Fat
Setup: DTXp4v2, GHWT pass-through
XBL: LoopyChew
LoopyChew
Loopy Legend

Re: Vantage mic close to buying it; some pre-autopsy questio

Postby Azerik » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:28 pm

When it is just sitting still doing nothing it hisses and pops or when you are holding and using it?

My first thought would be to blame the cord for something like that since cords like this are made with (typically) pretty fiddley little wires that will break down with every cord flex. Though I wouldn't rule out something in the mic element itself. These things are made pretty cheaply.

As for the signal delay, that is a stumper in my experience. Again they are made as cheaply as possible, and I have experienced problems with cheaply made surface mount components in other things I have, but I'd expect dropouts rather than a delay. The only real way I could think to test is to remove it from the mic cord and hook another mic element to it to see if it still does it.

As for Radio Shack...not many of those left here either. My old one is now a weed shop after the bankruptcy. Online parts places deliver to you? Digikey or...Mouser I think it was?
You, my confused little friend, need a clue. Luckily, I have one here shaped like a nightstick.
Azerik
Living Legend

Re: Vantage mic close to buying it; some pre-autopsy questio

Postby jgrills » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:13 pm

Hiss and pop I would have attributed to faulty shielding or a broken wire connecting the shielding.

The delay is ... strange. The implication is that information is being stored for a while and played back - I can't think of anything in the mic that could do that, and to keep price down on converters like that they stream data and don't have any memory for that storage. If you figure it out, I'd like to know the cause.
jgrills
Rock & Roll Ratchet

Return to Microphone & Vocal Mods & Vox Gear Discussion